servicestoincarcerated@listserv.cla-net.org

CLA Services to People Who Are Incarcerated

View all threads

Summer Reading activities

JH
Jennifer Harmonson
Wed, May 1, 2019 6:44 PM

Hello!

Have you offered a Summer Reading program to the incarcerated adults you serve? We've adapted our main activity sheet to make it activities they have access to (in conjunction with and approval of jail staff), and I thought I would share what we've done previously to get the ball rolling! Feel free to email additions to the group, or to me directly, and I'm happy to compile a list and share out. :)

  •     Ask staff to recommend a book to read

  •     Attend yoga class

  •     Complete an art project

  •     Complete the art/color challenge

  •     Create a list of your top 10 goals

  •     Create a toy to be donated to the animal shelter

  •     Design your ideal relaxation or personal space

  •     Join a book club

  •     Keep a gratitude journal

  •     Make a bookmark

  •     Participate in outdoor recreation with Coach

  •     Play a board game

  •     Read a genre you don't typically read

  •     Read manga or a graphic novel

  •     Respond to journal prompts from staff

  •     Write a book review that is 1+ pages long

  •     Write a gratitude letter

  •     Write a letter to self with Coach Brittany

  •     Write a letter to the author of a book you enjoyed

  •     Write a list of 4 good qualities about your roommate and about yourself

  •     Write a movie review

  •     Write a short story, rap, or poem

Thanks!

Jennifer Harmonson
Special Communities Librarian
Sacramento Public Library
Central Library
828 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 264 - 2966 | jharmonson@saclibrary.orghttps://mail.saclibrary.org/owa/redir.aspx?C=42792bdebd6a4d03bf6d42797ae6447f&URL=mailto%3ajharmonson%40saclibrary.org
I work a Tuesday - Saturday schedule

[...]
AJ
Austin, Jeanie (LIB)
Thu, May 23, 2019 10:34 PM

Hi Jennifer -

Just returning to this email - apologies!  I noticed that a few of your programs incorporate staff.  Would you want to share your process for developing activities and building staff investment?

Thanks for sharing your program information with us!

Jeanie Austin

(pronouns: they/them/theirhttps://jeanieaustin.com/they-them-pronouns-module/)

Librarian
Jail & Reentry Services
San Francisco Public Library

I work Monday through Friday at a number of locations.
Please call (415) 516-1163 if you have an immediate need to reach me.

https://sfpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/3562456093

This message is from outside the City email system. Do not open links or attachments from untrusted sources.

[...]

Hi Jennifer - Just returning to this email - apologies! I noticed that a few of your programs incorporate staff. Would you want to share your process for developing activities and building staff investment? Thanks for sharing your program information with us! Jeanie Austin (pronouns: they/them/their<https://jeanieaustin.com/they-them-pronouns-module/>) Librarian Jail & Reentry Services San Francisco Public Library I work Monday through Friday at a number of locations. Please call (415) 516-1163 if you have an immediate need to reach me. <https://sfpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/3562456093> ________________________________ From: Servicestoincarcerated <servicestoincarcerated-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org> on behalf of Jennifer Harmonson <JHarmonson@saclibrary.org> Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 11:44:42 AM To: servicestoincarcerated@listserv.cla-net.org Subject: [Servicestoincarcerated] Summer Reading activities This message is from outside the City email system. Do not open links or attachments from untrusted sources. Hello! Have you offered a Summer Reading program to the incarcerated adults you serve? We’ve adapted our main activity sheet to make it activities they have access to (in conjunction with and approval of jail staff), and I thought I would share what we’ve done previously to get the ball rolling! Feel free to email additions to the group, or to me directly, and I’m happy to compile a list and share out. :) · Ask staff to recommend a book to read · Attend yoga class · Complete an art project · Complete the art/color challenge · Create a list of your top 10 goals · Create a toy to be donated to the animal shelter · Design your ideal relaxation or personal space · Join a book club · Keep a gratitude journal · Make a bookmark · Participate in outdoor recreation with Coach · Play a board game · Read a genre you don’t typically read · Read manga or a graphic novel · Respond to journal prompts from staff · Write a book review that is 1+ pages long · Write a gratitude letter · Write a letter to self with Coach Brittany · Write a letter to the author of a book you enjoyed · Write a list of 4 good qualities about your roommate and about yourself · Write a movie review · Write a short story, rap, or poem Thanks! Jennifer Harmonson Special Communities Librarian Sacramento Public Library Central Library 828 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814 (916) 264 - 2966 | jharmonson@saclibrary.org<https://mail.saclibrary.org/owa/redir.aspx?C=42792bdebd6a4d03bf6d42797ae6447f&URL=mailto%3ajharmonson%40saclibrary.org> I work a Tuesday – Saturday schedule
JH
Jennifer Harmonson
Thu, May 23, 2019 11:01 PM

Hey, Jeanie,

I have the good fortune of being connected with a group of staff that were fully invested when I first began to work with them. The staff I work with oversee and implement programs, led by staff as well as community volunteers. No doubt that taking an interest beyond my initial commitment has helped to build the connection between the library and the jail. I have continued the book discussion groups, as well as worked with staff to develop programs that are a "spin-off" of the Summer Reading program, and even lead a couple of the arts and crafts activities they've offered.

Developing the list of activities for Summer Reading each year has been a collaborative effort. The first year, we involved some of the Summer Reading Team staff from SPL in addition to myself and jail staff. In the years since, I've worked with jail staff and we have made some changes based on the theme each summer as well as changes in access (for example, they now have access to tablets, which has expanded activity options!). Likewise, we treat participants from the jail as we would anyone who participates in the program. Upon completion of the program, they get a prize book and are entered into the grand prize drawings at the end of the summer. (The caveat being they are ineligible for a bag, unless they are released during the summer and can visit a branch to pick it up, as well as that, should they win a grand prize, it would either be held for them until discharge, or it would be held for their chosen designee to pick up from their local library.)

Other than the obvious differences (lack of access to social media, community-based activities, library programs, etc.), the main difference that the jail staff have imposed are: the expectation of reading a minimum of five books and writing a three-paragraph summary about each; completion of ten different activities (where we consider you completed with having read five books) and each activity has to be signed-off on by jail staff to get credit.

If I've missed anything, or there are any questions, I'm happy to fill in the blanks!

Thank you,

(916) 264 - 2966, x2 | jharmonson@saclibrary.orghttps://mail.saclibrary.org/owa/redir.aspx?C=42792bdebd6a4d03bf6d42797ae6447f&URL=mailto%3ajharmonson%40saclibrary.org
[...]

Hey, Jeanie, I have the good fortune of being connected with a group of staff that were fully invested when I first began to work with them. The staff I work with oversee and implement programs, led by staff as well as community volunteers. No doubt that taking an interest beyond my initial commitment has helped to build the connection between the library and the jail. I have continued the book discussion groups, as well as worked with staff to develop programs that are a "spin-off" of the Summer Reading program, and even lead a couple of the arts and crafts activities they've offered. Developing the list of activities for Summer Reading each year has been a collaborative effort. The first year, we involved some of the Summer Reading Team staff from SPL in addition to myself and jail staff. In the years since, I've worked with jail staff and we have made some changes based on the theme each summer as well as changes in access (for example, they now have access to tablets, which has expanded activity options!). Likewise, we treat participants from the jail as we would anyone who participates in the program. Upon completion of the program, they get a prize book and are entered into the grand prize drawings at the end of the summer. (The caveat being they are ineligible for a bag, unless they are released during the summer and can visit a branch to pick it up, as well as that, should they win a grand prize, it would either be held for them until discharge, or it would be held for their chosen designee to pick up from their local library.) Other than the obvious differences (lack of access to social media, community-based activities, library programs, etc.), the main difference that the jail staff have imposed are: the expectation of reading a minimum of five books and writing a three-paragraph summary about each; completion of ten different activities (where we consider you completed with having read five books) and each activity has to be signed-off on by jail staff to get credit. If I've missed anything, or there are any questions, I'm happy to fill in the blanks! Thank you, Jennifer Harmonson Special Communities Librarian Sacramento Public Library Central Library 828 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814 (916) 264 - 2966, x2 | jharmonson@saclibrary.org<https://mail.saclibrary.org/owa/redir.aspx?C=42792bdebd6a4d03bf6d42797ae6447f&URL=mailto%3ajharmonson%40saclibrary.org> I work a Tuesday - Saturday schedule From: Austin, Jeanie (LIB) [mailto:jeanie.austin@sfpl.org] Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2019 3:34 PM To: Jennifer Harmonson <JHarmonson@saclibrary.org>; servicestoincarcerated@listserv.cla-net.org Subject: Re: Summer Reading activities Hi Jennifer - Just returning to this email - apologies! I noticed that a few of your programs incorporate staff. Would you want to share your process for developing activities and building staff investment? Thanks for sharing your program information with us! Jeanie Austin (pronouns: they/them/their<https://jeanieaustin.com/they-them-pronouns-module/>) Librarian Jail & Reentry Services San Francisco Public Library I work Monday through Friday at a number of locations. Please call (415) 516-1163 if you have an immediate need to reach me. ________________________________ From: Servicestoincarcerated <servicestoincarcerated-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org<mailto:servicestoincarcerated-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org>> on behalf of Jennifer Harmonson <JHarmonson@saclibrary.org<mailto:JHarmonson@saclibrary.org>> Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 11:44:42 AM To: servicestoincarcerated@listserv.cla-net.org<mailto:servicestoincarcerated@listserv.cla-net.org> Subject: [Servicestoincarcerated] Summer Reading activities This message is from outside the City email system. Do not open links or attachments from untrusted sources. Hello! Have you offered a Summer Reading program to the incarcerated adults you serve? We've adapted our main activity sheet to make it activities they have access to (in conjunction with and approval of jail staff), and I thought I would share what we've done previously to get the ball rolling! Feel free to email additions to the group, or to me directly, and I'm happy to compile a list and share out. :) * Ask staff to recommend a book to read * Attend yoga class * Complete an art project * Complete the art/color challenge * Create a list of your top 10 goals * Create a toy to be donated to the animal shelter * Design your ideal relaxation or personal space * Join a book club * Keep a gratitude journal * Make a bookmark * Participate in outdoor recreation with Coach * Play a board game * Read a genre you don't typically read * Read manga or a graphic novel * Respond to journal prompts from staff * Write a book review that is 1+ pages long * Write a gratitude letter * Write a letter to self with Coach Brittany * Write a letter to the author of a book you enjoyed * Write a list of 4 good qualities about your roommate and about yourself * Write a movie review * Write a short story, rap, or poem Thanks! Jennifer Harmonson Special Communities Librarian Sacramento Public Library Central Library 828 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814 (916) 264 - 2966 | jharmonson@saclibrary.org<https://mail.saclibrary.org/owa/redir.aspx?C=42792bdebd6a4d03bf6d42797ae6447f&URL=mailto%3ajharmonson%40saclibrary.org> I work a Tuesday - Saturday schedule