circulation@listserv.cla-net.org

CLA Circulation Interest Group listserv

View all threads

Courtesy library cards (no proof of address)

KJ
Kambestad, Janae
Fri, Apr 28, 2017 6:05 PM

Hello,

I am wondering if your library offers something like a courtesy card. Basically, if you require proof of address to get a library card, but a patron does not have that, is there an option for them to get a card that allows limited checkouts? We are interested in offering something like this especially for patrons who have no address because we do not want to deny them services and our local homeless outreach is no longer providing mail services which is what we relied on before (it will also benefit patrons who simply forgot to bring proof of address because they can still check out items that day).

If you do offer something similar, please answer the following questions:

  •     What is the limit of checkouts a patron may have with this card?

  •     Are they allowed to check out everything or are there certain items they cannot check out?

  •     Can they also access ebooks and databases?

  •     Does the card expire? If so, how often and can it be renewed?

Many thanks,

Janae Kambestad
Circulation Supervisor
Burbank Public Library
110 N Glenoaks Blvd
Burbank CA 91502
818-238-5550

www.burbanklibrary.comhttp://www.burbanklibrary.com/

Hello, I am wondering if your library offers something like a courtesy card. Basically, if you require proof of address to get a library card, but a patron does not have that, is there an option for them to get a card that allows limited checkouts? We are interested in offering something like this especially for patrons who have no address because we do not want to deny them services and our local homeless outreach is no longer providing mail services which is what we relied on before (it will also benefit patrons who simply forgot to bring proof of address because they can still check out items that day). If you do offer something similar, please answer the following questions: * What is the limit of checkouts a patron may have with this card? * Are they allowed to check out everything or are there certain items they cannot check out? * Can they also access ebooks and databases? * Does the card expire? If so, how often and can it be renewed? Many thanks, Janae Kambestad Circulation Supervisor Burbank Public Library 110 N Glenoaks Blvd Burbank CA 91502 818-238-5550 www.burbanklibrary.com<http://www.burbanklibrary.com/> [Description: Home]
LM
Loren Mindell
Fri, Apr 28, 2017 7:16 PM

Hello Janae

The Luria Library at Santa Barbara City College does not offer anything
similar to a courtesy card. While the building is open to the public only
patrons associated with the school have borrowing privileges. General
public may use print materials inside the library as well reference
services however using a computer requires an SBCC login.

"Currently enrolled students and currently employed faculty and staff
can borrow materials from the SBCC Library. In addition, any member of the
public may join the Friends of Luria Library
http://library.sbcc.edu/friends
for as low as $10 per year. As a member,
you may check out library materials." - This is how borrowing policy is
described in the library's FAQ
http://library.sbcc.edu/help/faq/#librarymaterials.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Kambestad, Janae <JKambestad@burbankca.gov

wrote:

[...]

818-238-5550 <(818)%20238-5550>

www.burbanklibrary.com

[image: Description: Home]

Circulation mailing list
Circulation@listserv.cla-net.org
listserv.cla-net.org

--
Loren Mindell
Library Assistant

Santa Barbara City College
Luria Library http://library.sbcc.edu/
721 Cliff Drive,
Santa Barbara, CA 93109
ldmindell@pipeline.sbcc.edu cdpoulson@pipeline.sbcc.edu

Hello Janae The Luria Library at Santa Barbara City College does not offer anything similar to a courtesy card. While the building is open to the public only patrons associated with the school have borrowing privileges. General public may use print materials inside the library as well reference services however using a computer requires an SBCC login. "Currently enrolled students and currently employed faculty and staff can borrow materials from the SBCC Library. In addition, any member of the public may join the *Friends of Luria Library <http://library.sbcc.edu/friends>* for as low as $10 per year. As a member, you may check out library materials." - This is how borrowing policy is described in the library's FAQ <http://library.sbcc.edu/help/faq/#librarymaterials>. On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Kambestad, Janae <JKambestad@burbankca.gov > wrote: > Hello, > > > > I am wondering if your library offers something like a courtesy card. > Basically, if you require proof of address to get a library card, but a > patron does not have that, is there an option for them to get a card that > allows limited checkouts? We are interested in offering something like this > especially for patrons who have no address because we do not want to deny > them services and our local homeless outreach is no longer providing mail > services which is what we relied on before (it will also benefit patrons > who simply forgot to bring proof of address because they can still check > out items that day). > > > > If you do offer something similar, please answer the following questions: > > · What is the limit of checkouts a patron may have with this card? > > · Are they allowed to check out everything or are there certain > items they cannot check out? > > · Can they also access ebooks and databases? > > · Does the card expire? If so, how often and can it be renewed? > > > > Many thanks, > > > > *Janae Kambestad* > > Circulation Supervisor > > Burbank Public Library > > 110 N Glenoaks Blvd > > Burbank CA 91502 > > 818-238-5550 <(818)%20238-5550> > > > > www.burbanklibrary.com > > > > [image: Description: Home] > > > > _______________________________________________ > Circulation mailing list > Circulation@listserv.cla-net.org > http://listserv.cla-net.org/mailman/listinfo/circulation_ > listserv.cla-net.org > > -- *Loren Mindell* Library Assistant *Santa Barbara City College* *Luria Library <http://library.sbcc.edu/>* 721 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA 93109 ldmindell@pipeline.sbcc.edu <cdpoulson@pipeline.sbcc.edu>
QM
Quillman, Margaret
Fri, Apr 28, 2017 7:54 PM

Hi Janae,

Here at Palo Alto City Library, we offer an Internet Only card that can be used to access our internet stations, but cannot be used to check out any materials. We are considering a temporary card for people who don't have full documentation to allow them to check out two items, but that has not yet been implemented (and maybe never will be.)

Thanks!

Peggy Quillman
Library Associate
Palo Alto Downtown Library
650-838-2972

[...]

Hi Janae, Here at Palo Alto City Library, we offer an Internet Only card that can be used to access our internet stations, but cannot be used to check out any materials. We are considering a temporary card for people who don't have full documentation to allow them to check out two items, but that has not yet been implemented (and maybe never will be.) Thanks! Peggy Quillman Library Associate Palo Alto Downtown Library 650-838-2972 From: Circulation [mailto:circulation-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org] On Behalf Of Kambestad, Janae Sent: Friday, April 28, 2017 11:06 AM To: circulation@listserv.cla-net.org Subject: [Circulation] Courtesy library cards (no proof of address) Hello, I am wondering if your library offers something like a courtesy card. Basically, if you require proof of address to get a library card, but a patron does not have that, is there an option for them to get a card that allows limited checkouts? We are interested in offering something like this especially for patrons who have no address because we do not want to deny them services and our local homeless outreach is no longer providing mail services which is what we relied on before (it will also benefit patrons who simply forgot to bring proof of address because they can still check out items that day). If you do offer something similar, please answer the following questions: * What is the limit of checkouts a patron may have with this card? * Are they allowed to check out everything or are there certain items they cannot check out? * Can they also access ebooks and databases? * Does the card expire? If so, how often and can it be renewed? Many thanks, Janae Kambestad Circulation Supervisor Burbank Public Library 110 N Glenoaks Blvd Burbank CA 91502 818-238-5550 www.burbanklibrary.com<http://www.burbanklibrary.com/> [Description: Home]