circulation@listserv.cla-net.org

CLA Circulation Interest Group listserv

View all threads

How do you handle a lost disc of a multi disc set

JJ
Jennifer Johnson
Wed, Jan 31, 2018 7:21 PM

Hi,

I'm examining our policy on charging patrons for audiobooks or DVD sets with a lost disc.  I wondered what other libraries do.

The possibilities that I have run into are:

  1. Charge for the whole set unless a replacement disc can be purchased.  If the disc can be replaced, then charge only for the cost of the disc.
    *  I believe the thinking is that if the single disc cannot be replaced, the set must be discarded and is lost to the library.  Thus, full replacement cost is required. The patron is lucky if it can be replaced.
  2. Charge for the lost disc and nothing more, whether it can be replaced or not.
    *  I believe this is because the patron has no control over if the disc can be replaced or not, and the library should be fair to all patrons.
    *  It also may be due to the high cost of audiobooks.

I'd love to hear what your library does and if you know the thinking behind it.

Thanks
Jenn

[Library logo email 131 pixels 3-11-14]

Jenn Johnson
Lead Librarian
Circulation
City of Carlsbad
1775 Dove Lane
Carlsbad, CA 92011
www.carlsbadlibrary.orghttp://www.carlsbadlibrary.org/

760-602-2059 or 760-434-2888| 760-602-7942 fax | Jennifer.johnson@carlsbadca.govmailto:Jennifer.johnson@carlsbadca.gov

[...]
CS
Christine Sorensen
Thu, Feb 1, 2018 12:00 AM

Hi!

We have a very similar policy, and we are also struggling with whether or not it's the right way to approach it.

For missing discs (audiobooks only):

  • If we can reorder a replacement cd we charge a $10 fee for the replacement disc and an $8 processing fee
  • If we cannot order a replacement cd, we charge for the entire cost plus that processing fee

For missing discs on DVD sets, we always charge the full replacement cost.

Our Circulation department handles the bills, but our Technical Services department are the folks who can determine if the disc is replaceable or not. So the billing process for audiobooks can take a long time. Like your scenario #2, we don't like having an inconsistent billing process. Its more staff time, and not fair to the patrons.

I would like to hear what other libraries are doing.

Christine Sorensen
Library Assistant II
San Rafael Public Library
1100 E Street
San Rafael CA 94901

415-485-3323 x7017

christine.sorensen@cityofsanrafael.org

[...]

Hi! We have a very similar policy, and we are also struggling with whether or not it's the right way to approach it. For missing discs (audiobooks only): * If we can reorder a replacement cd we charge a $10 fee for the replacement disc and an $8 processing fee * If we cannot order a replacement cd, we charge for the entire cost plus that processing fee For missing discs on DVD sets, we always charge the full replacement cost. Our Circulation department handles the bills, but our Technical Services department are the folks who can determine if the disc is replaceable or not. So the billing process for audiobooks can take a long time. Like your scenario #2, we don't like having an inconsistent billing process. Its more staff time, and not fair to the patrons. I would like to hear what other libraries are doing. Christine Sorensen Library Assistant II San Rafael Public Library 1100 E Street San Rafael CA 94901 415-485-3323 x7017 christine.sorensen@cityofsanrafael.org From: Circulation [mailto:circulation-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org] On Behalf Of Jennifer Johnson Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:22 AM To: circulation@listserv.cla-net.org Subject: [Circulation] How do you handle a lost disc of a multi disc set Hi, I'm examining our policy on charging patrons for audiobooks or DVD sets with a lost disc. I wondered what other libraries do. The possibilities that I have run into are: 1. Charge for the whole set unless a replacement disc can be purchased. If the disc can be replaced, then charge only for the cost of the disc. * I believe the thinking is that if the single disc cannot be replaced, the set must be discarded and is lost to the library. Thus, full replacement cost is required. The patron is lucky if it can be replaced. 2. Charge for the lost disc and nothing more, whether it can be replaced or not. * I believe this is because the patron has no control over if the disc can be replaced or not, and the library should be fair to all patrons. * It also may be due to the high cost of audiobooks. I'd love to hear what your library does and if you know the thinking behind it. Thanks Jenn [Library logo email 131 pixels 3-11-14] Jenn Johnson Lead Librarian Circulation City of Carlsbad 1775 Dove Lane Carlsbad, CA 92011 www.carlsbadlibrary.org<http://www.carlsbadlibrary.org/> 760-602-2059 or 760-434-2888| 760-602-7942 fax | Jennifer.johnson@carlsbadca.gov<mailto:Jennifer.johnson@carlsbadca.gov>