Re: [Games & Gaming] Welcome and Introductions

TV
Thomas Vose
Fri, Mar 24, 2017 5:09 PM

That’s a great story!  Glad to have you!

Thomas Vose
Director, Palmdale City Library
700 E Palmdale Blvd.
Palmdale, CA 93550
661-267-5622

From: Bazalar, Bryan [mailto:bbazalar@lapl.org]
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:16 PM
To: Thomas Vose
Cc: Kate Shumaker; gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org
Subject: Re: [Games & Gaming] Welcome and Introductions

Hello all,
I am a Literacy Coordinator stationed in the Pacoima Public Library in the LA Public Library System. I only have one class left to complete before I can officially graduate from my Master's program in Library Science from the University of North Texas (online).

The moment I realized I wanted to be a librarian was when I discovered the Science and Engineering Lab at my undergrad campus (UC Santa Cruz) had a Video Game Lab. Something about that just clicked for me. I love video games and I have an interest in bringing them into schools and libraries. I am fascinated by them as a tool for education and as an artistic medium. Those that mentioned incorporating video games and STEAM; I am on board with you and want to be a part of that when I officially become a librarian.

I have hosted a few video game events on the side, apart from my lit coordinator work. One of my proudest achievements was a short summer club I hosted for kids and teens. It was 4 day (once a week) retrospective on Nintendo through the years, complete with an N64 & Gamecube. It was a decent turnout, with the exception of one memorable meeting. I have never seen a room so packed with kids and parents then on the club's salute to Pokemon. One parent was so happy to have an event like this, he drew me a little something. I still have it on my office wall.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and your projects!

P.S. If I still have your attention, I currently working on my final project for my graduate class. If you have a moment and want to help me out, please take a few minutes to fill out my survey. The survey is about public librarians, job stressors, and burnout. The amount of time you have been a librarian isn't important as long as you are one now. Follow the link below to take the survey. Thanks y'all :)
https://unt.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_a5g2lQmaxSuPm5L

Bryan Bazalar
Adult Literacy Coordinator
Pacoima Branch Library
13605 Van Nuys Blvd., Pacoima, CA 91331
(213) 228-7037 ext. 75319

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Thomas Vose <tvose@cityofpalmdale.orgmailto:tvose@cityofpalmdale.org> wrote:
VR, eh?  Would you be interested in maybe doing a session on it at CLA?

Thomas Vose
Director, Palmdale City Library
700 E Palmdale Blvd.
Palmdale, CA 93550