servicestoincarcerated@listserv.cla-net.org

CLA Services to People Who Are Incarcerated

View all threads

Washington State Bans Free Books to Prisoners for No Logical Reason

JH
Jennifer Harmonson
Tue, Apr 9, 2019 9:54 PM

This infuriates me to no end.

Washington State Bans Free Books to Prisoners for No Logical Reasonhttps://www.theroot.com/washington-state-bans-free-books-to-prisoners-for-no-lo-1833915004

Jennifer Harmonson
Special Communities Librarian
Sacramento Public Library
Central Library
828 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 264 - 2966 | jharmonson@saclibrary.orghttps://mail.saclibrary.org/owa/redir.aspx?C=42792bdebd6a4d03bf6d42797ae6447f&URL=mailto%3ajharmonson%40saclibrary.org
I work a Tuesday - Saturday schedule

This infuriates me to no end. Washington State Bans Free Books to Prisoners for No Logical Reason<https://www.theroot.com/washington-state-bans-free-books-to-prisoners-for-no-lo-1833915004> Jennifer Harmonson Special Communities Librarian Sacramento Public Library Central Library 828 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814 (916) 264 - 2966 | jharmonson@saclibrary.org<https://mail.saclibrary.org/owa/redir.aspx?C=42792bdebd6a4d03bf6d42797ae6447f&URL=mailto%3ajharmonson%40saclibrary.org> I work a Tuesday - Saturday schedule
AF
Alicia Friedman
Wed, Apr 10, 2019 1:08 AM

I work in CDCR, and I’ve heard of an incident in which book donations were
used as a guise to get contraband into the prison.

This article seems like sensationalism rather than trying to understand the
problems we face in prison.

https://maps.google.com/?q=828+I+Street,+Sacramento,+CA+95814&entry=gmail&source=g

--

I work in CDCR, and I’ve heard of an incident in which book donations were used as a guise to get contraband into the prison. This article seems like sensationalism rather than trying to understand the problems we face in prison. On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 2:54 PM Jennifer Harmonson <JHarmonson@saclibrary.org> wrote: > This infuriates me to no end. > > > > Washington State Bans Free Books to Prisoners for No Logical Reason > <https://www.theroot.com/washington-state-bans-free-books-to-prisoners-for-no-lo-1833915004> > > > > > > > > > > > > *Jennifer Harmonson* > > *Special Communities Librarian* > > Sacramento Public Library > > Central Library > > 828 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814 > <https://maps.google.com/?q=828+I+Street,+Sacramento,+CA+95814&entry=gmail&source=g> > > (916) 264 - 2966 | jharmonson@saclibrary.org > <https://mail.saclibrary.org/owa/redir.aspx?C=42792bdebd6a4d03bf6d42797ae6447f&URL=mailto%3ajharmonson%40saclibrary.org> > > > *I work a Tuesday – Saturday schedule* > > > > > -- > Servicestoincarcerated mailing list > Servicestoincarcerated@listserv.cla-net.org > > http://listserv.cla-net.org/mailman/listinfo/servicestoincarcerated_listserv.cla-net.org >
AJ

I think this is a very opportune moment to revisit the purposes for this group.  News about limiting information to people inside of jails and prisons is very relevant for all of our work, especially as one of the goals of the group is to operate under the idea that information access is a human right.  I don't think the point of the article is to assert that all materials should freely enter jails and prisons.  Rather, it is to note that groups that have provided established, ongoing service for decades (we have to assume largely without incident) are being informed that they can no longer send books to individuals, even when those books and mailing procedures previously fell within facility rules.

The Washington curtailment of book access is not new - New York attempted the same process in early 2018.  After public outcry, the governor of New York directed the DoC to rescind its limitations and the state eventually established more creative solutions around book and information access.

I hope all of you will be happy to know that Washington has already revoked the change in policy.  See this article for more information -

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/washington-corrections-officials-reverse-ban-will-allow-prisoners-to-get-used-books-in-the-mail/?utm_content=buffer84431&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=owned_buffer_tw_m
[https://static.seattletimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/04102019_book_150628-1200x630.jpg]https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/washington-corrections-officials-reverse-ban-will-allow-prisoners-to-get-used-books-in-the-mail/?utm_content=buffer84431&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=owned_buffer_tw_m

Washington corrections officials reverse ban, will allow prisoners to get used books in the mail | The Seattle Timeshttps://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/washington-corrections-officials-reverse-ban-will-allow-prisoners-to-get-used-books-in-the-mail/?utm_content=buffer84431&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=owned_buffer_tw_m
www.seattletimes.com
OLYMPIA – The ban on used books entering Washington prisons via nonprofit groups has been lifted. After an outcry by a Seattle nonprofit and questions from state lawmakers and Gov. Jay Inslee ...

All Best,

Jeanie Austin

(pronouns: they/them/theirhttps://jeanieaustin.com/they-them-pronouns-module/)

Librarian
Jail & Reentry Services
San Francisco Public Library

I work Monday through Friday at a number of locations.
Please call (415) 516-1163 if you have an immediate need to reach me.

https://sfpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/3562456093

This message is from outside the City email system. Do not open links or attachments from untrusted sources.

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 2:54 PM Jennifer Harmonson <JHarmonson@saclibrary.orgmailto:JHarmonson@saclibrary.org> wrote:

This infuriates me to no end.

Washington State Bans Free Books to Prisoners for No Logical Reasonhttps://www.theroot.com/washington-state-bans-free-books-to-prisoners-for-no-lo-1833915004

Jennifer Harmonson

Special Communities Librarian

Sacramento Public Library

Central Library

828 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814https://maps.google.com/?q=828+I+Street,+Sacramento,+CA+95814&entry=gmail&source=g

(916) 264 - 2966 | jharmonson@saclibrary.orghttps://mail.saclibrary.org/owa/redir.aspx?C=42792bdebd6a4d03bf6d42797ae6447f&URL=mailto%3ajharmonson%40saclibrary.org

I work a Tuesday – Saturday schedule

--

I think this is a very opportune moment to revisit the purposes for this group. News about limiting information to people inside of jails and prisons is very relevant for all of our work, especially as one of the goals of the group is to operate under the idea that information access is a human right. I don't think the point of the article is to assert that all materials should freely enter jails and prisons. Rather, it is to note that groups that have provided established, ongoing service for decades (we have to assume largely without incident) are being informed that they can no longer send books to individuals, even when those books and mailing procedures previously fell within facility rules. The Washington curtailment of book access is not new - New York attempted the same process in early 2018. After public outcry, the governor of New York directed the DoC to rescind its limitations and the state eventually established more creative solutions around book and information access. I hope all of you will be happy to know that Washington has already revoked the change in policy. See this article for more information - https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/washington-corrections-officials-reverse-ban-will-allow-prisoners-to-get-used-books-in-the-mail/?utm_content=buffer84431&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=owned_buffer_tw_m [https://static.seattletimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/04102019_book_150628-1200x630.jpg]<https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/washington-corrections-officials-reverse-ban-will-allow-prisoners-to-get-used-books-in-the-mail/?utm_content=buffer84431&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=owned_buffer_tw_m> Washington corrections officials reverse ban, will allow prisoners to get used books in the mail | The Seattle Times<https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/washington-corrections-officials-reverse-ban-will-allow-prisoners-to-get-used-books-in-the-mail/?utm_content=buffer84431&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=owned_buffer_tw_m> www.seattletimes.com OLYMPIA – The ban on used books entering Washington prisons via nonprofit groups has been lifted. After an outcry by a Seattle nonprofit and questions from state lawmakers and Gov. Jay Inslee ... All Best, Jeanie Austin (pronouns: they/them/their<https://jeanieaustin.com/they-them-pronouns-module/>) Librarian Jail & Reentry Services San Francisco Public Library I work Monday through Friday at a number of locations. Please call (415) 516-1163 if you have an immediate need to reach me. <https://sfpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/3562456093> ________________________________ From: Servicestoincarcerated <servicestoincarcerated-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org> on behalf of Alicia Friedman <licha257@gmail.com> Sent: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 6:08:49 PM To: Jennifer Harmonson Cc: servicestoincarcerated@listserv.cla-net.org Subject: Re: [Servicestoincarcerated] Washington State Bans Free Books to Prisoners for No Logical Reason This message is from outside the City email system. Do not open links or attachments from untrusted sources. I work in CDCR, and I’ve heard of an incident in which book donations were used as a guise to get contraband into the prison. This article seems like sensationalism rather than trying to understand the problems we face in prison. On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 2:54 PM Jennifer Harmonson <JHarmonson@saclibrary.org<mailto:JHarmonson@saclibrary.org>> wrote: This infuriates me to no end. Washington State Bans Free Books to Prisoners for No Logical Reason<https://www.theroot.com/washington-state-bans-free-books-to-prisoners-for-no-lo-1833915004> Jennifer Harmonson Special Communities Librarian Sacramento Public Library Central Library 828 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814<https://maps.google.com/?q=828+I+Street,+Sacramento,+CA+95814&entry=gmail&source=g> (916) 264 - 2966 | jharmonson@saclibrary.org<https://mail.saclibrary.org/owa/redir.aspx?C=42792bdebd6a4d03bf6d42797ae6447f&URL=mailto%3ajharmonson%40saclibrary.org> I work a Tuesday – Saturday schedule -- Servicestoincarcerated mailing list Servicestoincarcerated@listserv.cla-net.org<mailto:Servicestoincarcerated@listserv.cla-net.org> http://listserv.cla-net.org/mailman/listinfo/servicestoincarcerated_listserv.cla-net.org