Welcome and Introductions

TS
Teresa Slobuski
Wed, Mar 22, 2017 6:42 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am happy to see that we have a nice group who have joined our email list.
As the chair for the Games and Gaming Interest Group, I am pleased to have
an opportunity to get our game on in California Libraries. I wanted to take
a few minutes to introduce myself and ask if you would do the same.

I am currently serving as the Research Services Coordinator at San Jose
State. I am originally form the east coast, and did my MLIS at Rutgers. I
have been involved with International Games Day (now week!
http://games.ala.org/international-games-week/ ) for 4 years working with
companies to get donations to participating libraries. At SJSU, I work with
the Game Developers Club and am the advisor for the Table Top Club, both of
which meet weekly in our library. I also coordinate events with several
other student clubs (Super Smash, Pokemon) and community gaming groups. My
biggest goal (in regards to gaming) is to try to get a circulating
collection at my library. To help support that goal, I recently
collaborated with a few other librarians from ALA's Game Round Table to
understand current practices of libraries for tabletop collections. If you
are interested is available in the Open Access journal Evidence Based
Library and Information Practice:
https://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index.php/EBLIP/article/view/27785

Let me know who you all are and if you have any particular areas regarding
games that you are trying to pursue/want to get started/etc. at your
library.

Cheers,
Teresa

Teresa Slobuski
Research Services Coordinator
San Jose State University
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0028
408-808-2318
Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu

Hello Everyone, I am happy to see that we have a nice group who have joined our email list. As the chair for the Games and Gaming Interest Group, I am pleased to have an opportunity to get our game on in California Libraries. I wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself and ask if you would do the same. I am currently serving as the Research Services Coordinator at San Jose State. I am originally form the east coast, and did my MLIS at Rutgers. I have been involved with International Games Day (now week! http://games.ala.org/international-games-week/ ) for 4 years working with companies to get donations to participating libraries. At SJSU, I work with the Game Developers Club and am the advisor for the Table Top Club, both of which meet weekly in our library. I also coordinate events with several other student clubs (Super Smash, Pokemon) and community gaming groups. My biggest goal (in regards to gaming) is to try to get a circulating collection at my library. To help support that goal, I recently collaborated with a few other librarians from ALA's Game Round Table to understand current practices of libraries for tabletop collections. If you are interested is available in the Open Access journal Evidence Based Library and Information Practice: https://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index.php/EBLIP/article/view/27785 Let me know who you all are and if you have any particular areas regarding games that you are trying to pursue/want to get started/etc. at your library. Cheers, Teresa -------------------------------------- Teresa Slobuski Research Services Coordinator San Jose State University Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0028 408-808-2318 Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu
AA
Allison Angell
Wed, Mar 22, 2017 6:59 PM

Hi,
I work at the Benicia Public Library, which serves about 27,000 people.  We keep some board games in our teen zone, so there's always something to play when we're open.
We have an after-school program for kids and teens that runs four afternoons a week, at which we set up four or five video game stations.  Smash is the most popular game, but we play a pretty wide range.  I oversee the program, but I'm not usually the person in the room every day.  We've been doing that program for just over a decade.
I also run a board games night once a month for all ages.  It started as a D&D night, but very quickly became a night for almost everything but RPGs.  We have standard games, such as Boggle and Twister and Candyland (all ages event!), but then I also bring in some of my favorite Eurogames, and so do some of the regulars.  So we might have a couple of tables with families playing Twister and Jenga, but then there are tables playing Evolution or Pandemic or Euphoria.
I'm so glad CLA has a gaming listserv now!  I'm looking forward to reading about everyone else's programs.
Allison Angell

Allison Angell
Head of Youth Services, Benicia (Calif.) Public Library
aangell@ci.benicia.ca.us

[...]

Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edumailto:Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu

Hi, I work at the Benicia Public Library, which serves about 27,000 people. We keep some board games in our teen zone, so there's always something to play when we're open. We have an after-school program for kids and teens that runs four afternoons a week, at which we set up four or five video game stations. Smash is the most popular game, but we play a pretty wide range. I oversee the program, but I'm not usually the person in the room every day. We've been doing that program for just over a decade. I also run a board games night once a month for all ages. It started as a D&D night, but very quickly became a night for almost everything but RPGs. We have standard games, such as Boggle and Twister and Candyland (all ages event!), but then I also bring in some of my favorite Eurogames, and so do some of the regulars. So we might have a couple of tables with families playing Twister and Jenga, but then there are tables playing Evolution or Pandemic or Euphoria. I'm so glad CLA has a gaming listserv now! I'm looking forward to reading about everyone else's programs. Allison Angell Allison Angell Head of Youth Services, Benicia (Calif.) Public Library aangell@ci.benicia.ca.us From: Gamesandgaming [mailto:gamesandgaming-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org] On Behalf Of Teresa Slobuski Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11:43 AM To: gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org Subject: [Games & Gaming] Welcome and Introductions Hello Everyone, I am happy to see that we have a nice group who have joined our email list. As the chair for the Games and Gaming Interest Group, I am pleased to have an opportunity to get our game on in California Libraries. I wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself and ask if you would do the same. I am currently serving as the Research Services Coordinator at San Jose State. I am originally form the east coast, and did my MLIS at Rutgers. I have been involved with International Games Day (now week! http://games.ala.org/international-games-week/ ) for 4 years working with companies to get donations to participating libraries. At SJSU, I work with the Game Developers Club and am the advisor for the Table Top Club, both of which meet weekly in our library. I also coordinate events with several other student clubs (Super Smash, Pokemon) and community gaming groups. My biggest goal (in regards to gaming) is to try to get a circulating collection at my library. To help support that goal, I recently collaborated with a few other librarians from ALA's Game Round Table to understand current practices of libraries for tabletop collections. If you are interested is available in the Open Access journal Evidence Based Library and Information Practice: https://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index.php/EBLIP/article/view/27785 Let me know who you all are and if you have any particular areas regarding games that you are trying to pursue/want to get started/etc. at your library. Cheers, Teresa -------------------------------------- Teresa Slobuski Research Services Coordinator San Jose State University Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0028 408-808-2318 Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu<mailto:Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu>
AK
Allen Kesinger
Wed, Mar 22, 2017 8:09 PM

Howdy,
I'm currently the Teen Services Librarian at Mission Viejo and I love video
games (both digital and analog). I've been slowly implementing a game
collection here starting with board games, but I'm trying to find a good
vendor to purchase video games from. Now that I've started playing D&D, I'd
love to do related programming with it here.

I was previously a Reference librarian at the Newport Beach Public Library
where I launched a successful circulating video game collection. We tried
to get Smash tournaments going but didn't get much of an audience. One of
our more successful events was my Intergenerational Game Night where we
encouraged parents to play video games with their kids. We had modern games
as well as popular classics and it was fun to see parents getting into it.
:)

-Allen

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Allison Angell AAngell@ci.benicia.ca.us
wrote:

[...]

408-808-2318 <(408)%20808-2318>

Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu

Gamesandgaming mailing list
Gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org
net.org

Howdy, I'm currently the Teen Services Librarian at Mission Viejo and I love video games (both digital and analog). I've been slowly implementing a game collection here starting with board games, but I'm trying to find a good vendor to purchase video games from. Now that I've started playing D&D, I'd love to do related programming with it here. I was previously a Reference librarian at the Newport Beach Public Library where I launched a successful circulating video game collection. We tried to get Smash tournaments going but didn't get much of an audience. One of our more successful events was my Intergenerational Game Night where we encouraged parents to play video games with their kids. We had modern games as well as popular classics and it was fun to see parents getting into it. :) -Allen On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Allison Angell <AAngell@ci.benicia.ca.us> wrote: > Hi, > > I work at the Benicia Public Library, which serves about 27,000 > people. We keep some board games in our teen zone, so there's always > something to play when we're open. > > We have an after-school program for kids and teens that runs four > afternoons a week, at which we set up four or five video game stations. > Smash is the most popular game, but we play a pretty wide range. I oversee > the program, but I'm not usually the person in the room every day. We've > been doing that program for just over a decade. > > I also run a board games night once a month for all ages. It started > as a D&D night, but very quickly became a night for almost everything but > RPGs. We have standard games, such as Boggle and Twister and Candyland > (all ages event!), but then I also bring in some of my favorite Eurogames, > and so do some of the regulars. So we might have a couple of tables with > families playing Twister and Jenga, but then there are tables playing > Evolution or Pandemic or Euphoria. > > I'm so glad CLA has a gaming listserv now! I'm looking forward to > reading about everyone else's programs. > > Allison Angell > > > > > > Allison Angell > > Head of Youth Services, Benicia (Calif.) Public Library > > aangell@ci.benicia.ca.us > > > > > > > > *From:* Gamesandgaming [mailto:gamesandgaming-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org] > *On Behalf Of *Teresa Slobuski > *Sent:* Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11:43 AM > *To:* gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org > *Subject:* [Games & Gaming] Welcome and Introductions > > > > Hello Everyone, > > > > I am happy to see that we have a nice group who have joined our email > list. As the chair for the Games and Gaming Interest Group, I am pleased to > have an opportunity to get our game on in California Libraries. I wanted to > take a few minutes to introduce myself and ask if you would do the same. > > > > I am currently serving as the Research Services Coordinator at San Jose > State. I am originally form the east coast, and did my MLIS at Rutgers. I > have been involved with International Games Day (now week! > http://games.ala.org/international-games-week/ ) for 4 years working with > companies to get donations to participating libraries. At SJSU, I work with > the Game Developers Club and am the advisor for the Table Top Club, both of > which meet weekly in our library. I also coordinate events with several > other student clubs (Super Smash, Pokemon) and community gaming groups. My > biggest goal (in regards to gaming) is to try to get a circulating > collection at my library. To help support that goal, I recently > collaborated with a few other librarians from ALA's Game Round Table to > understand current practices of libraries for tabletop collections. If you > are interested is available in the Open Access journal Evidence Based > Library and Information Practice: https://ejournals. > library.ualberta.ca/index.php/EBLIP/article/view/27785 > > > > Let me know who you all are and if you have any particular areas regarding > games that you are trying to pursue/want to get started/etc. at your > library. > > > > Cheers, > > Teresa > > -------------------------------------- > > Teresa Slobuski > > Research Services Coordinator > > San Jose State University > > Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library > > One Washington Square > > San Jose, CA 95192-0028 > > 408-808-2318 <(408)%20808-2318> > > Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu > > > > _______________________________________________ > Gamesandgaming mailing list > Gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org > http://listserv.cla-net.org/mailman/listinfo/gamesandgaming_listserv.cla- > net.org > >
DH
Dylan Holmes
Wed, Mar 22, 2017 8:49 PM

Hello,

I’m an Adult Services Librarian at the Sacramento Public Library, and I’m a big gaming history buff (both analog and digital). We’re currently prepping the second incarnation of our circulating board game collection, which will allow patrons at all 28 branches to order and check out board games just as they would other items. We have a smaller video game collection, but its fate is TBD; like all libraries, we are struggling with the shift to digital games and the complete lack of licensing models for circulating them.

One of my projects for the coming years is trying to build the groundwork to create such a model, and – pending that or major copyright reform – find alternative methods to provide access to video games (e.g. curating freely available games). I will certainly let the list know if something comes of these efforts ☺

  •      Dylan

[...]

408-808-2318tel:(408)%20808-2318
Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edumailto:Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu

Gamesandgaming mailing list
Gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.orgmailto:Gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org

Hello, I’m an Adult Services Librarian at the Sacramento Public Library, and I’m a big gaming history buff (both analog and digital). We’re currently prepping the second incarnation of our circulating board game collection, which will allow patrons at all 28 branches to order and check out board games just as they would other items. We have a smaller video game collection, but its fate is TBD; like all libraries, we are struggling with the shift to digital games and the complete lack of licensing models for circulating them. One of my projects for the coming years is trying to build the groundwork to create such a model, and – pending that or major copyright reform – find alternative methods to provide access to video games (e.g. curating freely available games). I will certainly let the list know if something comes of these efforts ☺ - Dylan From: Gamesandgaming [mailto:gamesandgaming-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org] On Behalf Of Allen Kesinger Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:09 PM To: gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org Subject: Re: [Games & Gaming] Welcome and Introductions Howdy, I'm currently the Teen Services Librarian at Mission Viejo and I love video games (both digital and analog). I've been slowly implementing a game collection here starting with board games, but I'm trying to find a good vendor to purchase video games from. Now that I've started playing D&D, I'd love to do related programming with it here. I was previously a Reference librarian at the Newport Beach Public Library where I launched a successful circulating video game collection. We tried to get Smash tournaments going but didn't get much of an audience. One of our more successful events was my Intergenerational Game Night where we encouraged parents to play video games with their kids. We had modern games as well as popular classics and it was fun to see parents getting into it. :) -Allen On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Allison Angell <AAngell@ci.benicia.ca.us<mailto:AAngell@ci.benicia.ca.us>> wrote: Hi, I work at the Benicia Public Library, which serves about 27,000 people. We keep some board games in our teen zone, so there's always something to play when we're open. We have an after-school program for kids and teens that runs four afternoons a week, at which we set up four or five video game stations. Smash is the most popular game, but we play a pretty wide range. I oversee the program, but I'm not usually the person in the room every day. We've been doing that program for just over a decade. I also run a board games night once a month for all ages. It started as a D&D night, but very quickly became a night for almost everything but RPGs. We have standard games, such as Boggle and Twister and Candyland (all ages event!), but then I also bring in some of my favorite Eurogames, and so do some of the regulars. So we might have a couple of tables with families playing Twister and Jenga, but then there are tables playing Evolution or Pandemic or Euphoria. I'm so glad CLA has a gaming listserv now! I'm looking forward to reading about everyone else's programs. Allison Angell Allison Angell Head of Youth Services, Benicia (Calif.) Public Library aangell@ci.benicia.ca.us<mailto:aangell@ci.benicia.ca.us> From: Gamesandgaming [mailto:gamesandgaming-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org<mailto:gamesandgaming-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org>] On Behalf Of Teresa Slobuski Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11:43 AM To: gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org<mailto:gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org> Subject: [Games & Gaming] Welcome and Introductions Hello Everyone, I am happy to see that we have a nice group who have joined our email list. As the chair for the Games and Gaming Interest Group, I am pleased to have an opportunity to get our game on in California Libraries. I wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself and ask if you would do the same. I am currently serving as the Research Services Coordinator at San Jose State. I am originally form the east coast, and did my MLIS at Rutgers. I have been involved with International Games Day (now week! http://games.ala.org/international-games-week/ ) for 4 years working with companies to get donations to participating libraries. At SJSU, I work with the Game Developers Club and am the advisor for the Table Top Club, both of which meet weekly in our library. I also coordinate events with several other student clubs (Super Smash, Pokemon) and community gaming groups. My biggest goal (in regards to gaming) is to try to get a circulating collection at my library. To help support that goal, I recently collaborated with a few other librarians from ALA's Game Round Table to understand current practices of libraries for tabletop collections. If you are interested is available in the Open Access journal Evidence Based Library and Information Practice: https://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index.php/EBLIP/article/view/27785 Let me know who you all are and if you have any particular areas regarding games that you are trying to pursue/want to get started/etc. at your library. Cheers, Teresa -------------------------------------- Teresa Slobuski Research Services Coordinator San Jose State University Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0028 408-808-2318<tel:(408)%20808-2318> Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu<mailto:Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu> _______________________________________________ Gamesandgaming mailing list Gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org<mailto:Gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org> http://listserv.cla-net.org/mailman/listinfo/gamesandgaming_listserv.cla-net.org
TV
Thomas Vose
Thu, Mar 23, 2017 10:58 PM

Video game vendors are hard to find.  Last I heard, Ingram was still doing them, but in the age of digital downloads, DLC and day-one patches, I’m not sure it’s something we can do as well anymore.  Still, I wish you all the best, and I’m sure it will be popular!
Also, Intergenerational Game Night sounds awesome, especially if you get retro gaming into the mix!  Bring an NES or SNES!

Thomas Vose
Director, Palmdale City Library
700 E Palmdale Blvd.
Palmdale, CA 93550
661-267-5622

[...]

Video game vendors are hard to find. Last I heard, Ingram was still doing them, but in the age of digital downloads, DLC and day-one patches, I’m not sure it’s something we can do as well anymore. Still, I wish you all the best, and I’m sure it will be popular! Also, Intergenerational Game Night sounds awesome, especially if you get retro gaming into the mix! Bring an NES or SNES! Thomas Vose Director, Palmdale City Library 700 E Palmdale Blvd. Palmdale, CA 93550 661-267-5622 From: Gamesandgaming [mailto:gamesandgaming-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org] On Behalf Of Allen Kesinger Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:09 PM To: gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org Subject: Re: [Games & Gaming] Welcome and Introductions Howdy, I'm currently the Teen Services Librarian at Mission Viejo and I love video games (both digital and analog). I've been slowly implementing a game collection here starting with board games, but I'm trying to find a good vendor to purchase video games from. Now that I've started playing D&D, I'd love to do related programming with it here. I was previously a Reference librarian at the Newport Beach Public Library where I launched a successful circulating video game collection. We tried to get Smash tournaments going but didn't get much of an audience. One of our more successful events was my Intergenerational Game Night where we encouraged parents to play video games with their kids. We had modern games as well as popular classics and it was fun to see parents getting into it. :) -Allen On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Allison Angell <AAngell@ci.benicia.ca.us<mailto:AAngell@ci.benicia.ca.us>> wrote: Hi, I work at the Benicia Public Library, which serves about 27,000 people. We keep some board games in our teen zone, so there's always something to play when we're open. We have an after-school program for kids and teens that runs four afternoons a week, at which we set up four or five video game stations. Smash is the most popular game, but we play a pretty wide range. I oversee the program, but I'm not usually the person in the room every day. We've been doing that program for just over a decade. I also run a board games night once a month for all ages. It started as a D&D night, but very quickly became a night for almost everything but RPGs. We have standard games, such as Boggle and Twister and Candyland (all ages event!), but then I also bring in some of my favorite Eurogames, and so do some of the regulars. So we might have a couple of tables with families playing Twister and Jenga, but then there are tables playing Evolution or Pandemic or Euphoria. I'm so glad CLA has a gaming listserv now! I'm looking forward to reading about everyone else's programs. Allison Angell Allison Angell Head of Youth Services, Benicia (Calif.) Public Library aangell@ci.benicia.ca.us<mailto:aangell@ci.benicia.ca.us> From: Gamesandgaming [mailto:gamesandgaming-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org<mailto:gamesandgaming-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org>] On Behalf Of Teresa Slobuski Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11:43 AM To: gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org<mailto:gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org> Subject: [Games & Gaming] Welcome and Introductions Hello Everyone, I am happy to see that we have a nice group who have joined our email list. As the chair for the Games and Gaming Interest Group, I am pleased to have an opportunity to get our game on in California Libraries. I wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself and ask if you would do the same. I am currently serving as the Research Services Coordinator at San Jose State. I am originally form the east coast, and did my MLIS at Rutgers. I have been involved with International Games Day (now week! http://games.ala.org/international-games-week/ ) for 4 years working with companies to get donations to participating libraries. At SJSU, I work with the Game Developers Club and am the advisor for the Table Top Club, both of which meet weekly in our library. I also coordinate events with several other student clubs (Super Smash, Pokemon) and community gaming groups. My biggest goal (in regards to gaming) is to try to get a circulating collection at my library. To help support that goal, I recently collaborated with a few other librarians from ALA's Game Round Table to understand current practices of libraries for tabletop collections. If you are interested is available in the Open Access journal Evidence Based Library and Information Practice: https://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index.php/EBLIP/article/view/27785 Let me know who you all are and if you have any particular areas regarding games that you are trying to pursue/want to get started/etc. at your library. Cheers, Teresa -------------------------------------- Teresa Slobuski Research Services Coordinator San Jose State University Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0028 408-808-2318<tel:(408)%20808-2318> Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu<mailto:Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu> _______________________________________________ Gamesandgaming mailing list Gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org<mailto:Gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org> http://listserv.cla-net.org/mailman/listinfo/gamesandgaming_listserv.cla-net.org
TV
Thomas Vose
Thu, Mar 23, 2017 10:59 PM

Awesome.  I know that there was some interest in approaching Steam about a library service a while back, but don’t think anything came of it.  Might be worth following up on!

[...]

Awesome. I know that there was some interest in approaching Steam about a library service a while back, but don’t think anything came of it. Might be worth following up on! Thomas Vose Director, Palmdale City Library 700 E Palmdale Blvd. Palmdale, CA 93550 661-267-5622 From: Gamesandgaming [mailto:gamesandgaming-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org] On Behalf Of Dylan Holmes Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:49 PM To: gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org Subject: Re: [Games & Gaming] Welcome and Introductions Hello, I’m an Adult Services Librarian at the Sacramento Public Library, and I’m a big gaming history buff (both analog and digital). We’re currently prepping the second incarnation of our circulating board game collection, which will allow patrons at all 28 branches to order and check out board games just as they would other items. We have a smaller video game collection, but its fate is TBD; like all libraries, we are struggling with the shift to digital games and the complete lack of licensing models for circulating them. One of my projects for the coming years is trying to build the groundwork to create such a model, and – pending that or major copyright reform – find alternative methods to provide access to video games (e.g. curating freely available games). I will certainly let the list know if something comes of these efforts ☺ - Dylan From: Gamesandgaming [mailto:gamesandgaming-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org] On Behalf Of Allen Kesinger Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:09 PM To: gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org<mailto:gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org> Subject: Re: [Games & Gaming] Welcome and Introductions Howdy, I'm currently the Teen Services Librarian at Mission Viejo and I love video games (both digital and analog). I've been slowly implementing a game collection here starting with board games, but I'm trying to find a good vendor to purchase video games from. Now that I've started playing D&D, I'd love to do related programming with it here. I was previously a Reference librarian at the Newport Beach Public Library where I launched a successful circulating video game collection. We tried to get Smash tournaments going but didn't get much of an audience. One of our more successful events was my Intergenerational Game Night where we encouraged parents to play video games with their kids. We had modern games as well as popular classics and it was fun to see parents getting into it. :) -Allen On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Allison Angell <AAngell@ci.benicia.ca.us<mailto:AAngell@ci.benicia.ca.us>> wrote: Hi, I work at the Benicia Public Library, which serves about 27,000 people. We keep some board games in our teen zone, so there's always something to play when we're open. We have an after-school program for kids and teens that runs four afternoons a week, at which we set up four or five video game stations. Smash is the most popular game, but we play a pretty wide range. I oversee the program, but I'm not usually the person in the room every day. We've been doing that program for just over a decade. I also run a board games night once a month for all ages. It started as a D&D night, but very quickly became a night for almost everything but RPGs. We have standard games, such as Boggle and Twister and Candyland (all ages event!), but then I also bring in some of my favorite Eurogames, and so do some of the regulars. So we might have a couple of tables with families playing Twister and Jenga, but then there are tables playing Evolution or Pandemic or Euphoria. I'm so glad CLA has a gaming listserv now! I'm looking forward to reading about everyone else's programs. Allison Angell Allison Angell Head of Youth Services, Benicia (Calif.) Public Library aangell@ci.benicia.ca.us<mailto:aangell@ci.benicia.ca.us> From: Gamesandgaming [mailto:gamesandgaming-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org<mailto:gamesandgaming-bounces@listserv.cla-net.org>] On Behalf Of Teresa Slobuski Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11:43 AM To: gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org<mailto:gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org> Subject: [Games & Gaming] Welcome and Introductions Hello Everyone, I am happy to see that we have a nice group who have joined our email list. As the chair for the Games and Gaming Interest Group, I am pleased to have an opportunity to get our game on in California Libraries. I wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself and ask if you would do the same. I am currently serving as the Research Services Coordinator at San Jose State. I am originally form the east coast, and did my MLIS at Rutgers. I have been involved with International Games Day (now week! http://games.ala.org/international-games-week/ ) for 4 years working with companies to get donations to participating libraries. At SJSU, I work with the Game Developers Club and am the advisor for the Table Top Club, both of which meet weekly in our library. I also coordinate events with several other student clubs (Super Smash, Pokemon) and community gaming groups. My biggest goal (in regards to gaming) is to try to get a circulating collection at my library. To help support that goal, I recently collaborated with a few other librarians from ALA's Game Round Table to understand current practices of libraries for tabletop collections. If you are interested is available in the Open Access journal Evidence Based Library and Information Practice: https://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index.php/EBLIP/article/view/27785 Let me know who you all are and if you have any particular areas regarding games that you are trying to pursue/want to get started/etc. at your library. Cheers, Teresa -------------------------------------- Teresa Slobuski Research Services Coordinator San Jose State University Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0028 408-808-2318<tel:(408)%20808-2318> Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu<mailto:Teresa.Slobuski@sjsu.edu> _______________________________________________ Gamesandgaming mailing list Gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org<mailto:Gamesandgaming@listserv.cla-net.org> http://listserv.cla-net.org/mailman/listinfo/gamesandgaming_listserv.cla-net.org